Diagnosed with pneumonia, given antibiotic injection, ceftin and Albuterol inhaler. Can prednisone be taken along?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia two days ago, given a ranc in (sp?) antibiotic injection, Zpack, Ceftin which I have been taking with no issues. Albuterol inhaler...two puffs...every four hours. I'm breathing fine, just coughing terribly....only light phlegm so far......I also was prescribed prednisone but don't want to take if not absolutely necessary. If it weakens the immune system....and I don't have problems breathing...what is the benefit of adding it to my regimen? Thanks for hearing me.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
Usually pneumonia is developed without some precipitating factors so it doesnt need to worry you. Usually symptms subside on antibiotic therapy and recovery is uneeventful.
The benefit of corticosteroids in treatment of noncomplicated pneumonia is very debatable and most institutions dont recommend it except in some rare cases.There is no need to take if there are no breathing difficulties and signs of severe pneumonia,especially not if you are taking albuterol already.
If z-pack wasnt helpful then microbiological analysis, verification of the exact microbe and antibiogram should have been performed. This would show the antibiotic sensitivity and the right one could be used.
But, these ones you took, cover most known bacterial infectious agents so there should be improvement after 5-10 days of taking it. If there is pneumonia progression you need intravenous therapy,but I am sure it wont be necessary since you are not immunocompromised,diabetic or critically ill.
Wish you good health. If you have questions I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with pneumonia, given antibiotic injection, ceftin and Albuterol inhaler. Can prednisone be taken along? 25 minutes later
What benefit should the prednisone provide as I decide whether to take or not ? I feel jig it weakens the immune syst it is best not to use... In my case
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
prednisone is used for symptoms of pneumonia. It wont affect the outcome and won't speed up recovery,but it can be helpful for symptoms such as: excessive cough, or bronchal spasms, breathing difficulties and pain.
it has some side effects and it weakens immune system.but this is seen only in long term and higher dosages so it shouldn't concern you if you take it for less than 2 weeks. It acts by suppressing inflammatory response so you would feel less symptoms of pneumonia. But as I said, if you don't experience those unpleasant symptoms then I don't think prednisone is necessary. Regards