Diagnosed with pneumonia and mild asthma. Is it safe to take ciprofloxacei, ucolet and seretall diskus?

Allergist and Immunologist
What interactions are there between following: ciprofloxacei (500mg); m,ucolet (375mg) and seretall diskus (salmeterol/fluticasone propionate). I am a 74 year old woman diagnosed yesterday with pneumonia right lung. I have mild asthma.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 51 minutes later

The generic drugs are Ciprofloxacin (an antibiotic), mucodyne (to get phlegm out of the chest) and a steroid/beta2 agonist inhaler. As such there are no direct interactions with any of the drugs, so it will be safe to use them together (Source: British National Formulary for interaction with Quinolone antibiotics).

This is provided you are not on any other medication as antidepressants interact with ciprofloxacin such as duloxetine or TCAs (avoid concomitant use).

Moreover, try and use mucodyne sparingly while on ciprofloxacin i.e., as less number of times as possible as maximum use is three times daily.

You may need to get the antibiotic reviewed as per the CURB65 score. Your physician must have already done this, but needs to be reviewed if you are still unwell after 48-72 hours.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with pneumonia and mild asthma. Is it safe to take ciprofloxacei, ucolet and seretall diskus? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply. My pulmonary specialist prescribed 2 tablets 3 times a day. What is the source of your information advising me to use it sparingly ?
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 9 hours later
Yes, that is the standard dose (2 tabs three times daily).
You can start to lower it once the amount of phlegm goes down, as it causes an upset stomach. Therefore, when you feel such symptoms, it is time to lower down.

The source of information (British National Formulary), I already said in my initial reply.

Hope that helps.