Diagnosed with pneumonia. Took levofloxacin. Safe to fly?

Hi, yesterday a had a diagnosis of pneumonia, I was in the ER, but I was sent home with levofloxacin 500 mg/ daily/10.

I am on vacation in NY from Colombia SA, and I have to fly back Monday, due to my work,

Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 8 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have diagnosed with pneumonia. Considering that the diagnosis was done in ER, most likely it was done on the basis of chest xray along with your clinical symptoms.

2. Considering your diagnosis of pneumonia you have correctly been started on an antibiotic - levofloxacin for 10 days.

3. After the course of antibiotic, ideally a repeat xray is required if the initial changes were seen on chest xray. Else if there is clinical resolution of symptoms then a repeat xray may not be required. Also if you are having additional symptoms like expectoration the cough then sputum needs to be sent for examinationa at the start of treatment, if feasible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist