Diagnosed with pneumonia. Started Levaquin still have low grade fever. Is it normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with pneumonia on Monday. I started Levaquin 500 mg once daily that day. I still have a low grade fever (around 100 degrees) and wondered if that is normal at this point in the treatment cycle, or if I should call my doctor?
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Well, Levaquin is a wide spectrum antibiotic and it is efficient against 99& of possible causes of pneumonia so I doubt that there is resistency in your case since you are young and I suppose you are not immunocompromised. Fever may persist for 5-7 days and this is not uncommon. if you dont have some other significant symptoms,you dont have to be concerned and there is no need to switch antibiotic or consult doctor. Just finish antibiotic course,drink plenty of fluids and take c vitamin. If still fever persist then it may indicate viral pneumonia or antibiotic resistency and then you should consult doctor and do basic blood tests. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards