Diagnosed with pneumonia. On antibiotics. Prescribed Zithromax. Fever 103 to 104. Developed white sore on tongue. suggest?

Hi, My 23 year old son has been sick with a fever since weds. I took him to the ER on Saturday and he waw diagnosed with pneumonia. He was put on an antibiotic IV and fluids then sent home with zithromax. His fever fluctuated from 103 to 104 friday saturday and even tho he has been on the zithro he stills fluctuates from 101 to 104. Now he has developed a 1/4 inch white sore on the side of his tongue. He still has no energy and does not WANT to eat or drink but when we force fluids he does tolerate them. Should we revisit to ER 2moro or is this normal?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Antibiotics like Zithromax does need few days to show its response, but considering the soreness in the tongue after starting the antibiotics I would recommend a second visit to the ER.

If they plan to change the antibiotics then planning on placing him on Cephalosporins class of antibiotics would be good.