Diagnosed with pleomorphic adenoma. Is micro-paradectomy an option?

ENT Specialist
I have been diagnosed with a beneign tumor - superficial lobe of the left parotod gland. - most likely a pleomorphic adenoma - 1.3 to 1.5 CM Do I have goodENT choices in the South Florida area ? I understnad this is a delicate surgey due to the nerve exposure and dissection requirement. MRI and FNB have bee performed. I would like to stay local, but really want the best outcome. Is Micro-Paradectomy an option ? I have read it is much less invasive.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. A pleomorphic adenoma is the most common benign tumor of the salivary glands. It's surface is bosselated in appearance and hence must be removed with a wide margin of normal parotid tissue to prevent recurrence.

2. A superficial parotidectomy preserving the facial nerve will be the procedure of choice. Since the tumor is not very large and located posteriorly in the superficial lobe, a Microparotidectomy incision may be possible. However such technical choices including use of magnification and facial nerve monitoring should be left at the discretion of the operating surgeon.

3. The Mayo Clinic would be a good choice in Florida. If it is of help, you may consult a colleague of mine, Dr. XXXXXXX A Karkare MD, MBBS, BS for guidance in Florida.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.