Diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. Is this curable? Suggest effective medication

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i had been diagnosed with plantar fascities, however I have lost the prescription.
Can you advise the medications which should be taken for the cure?
Also is plantar fascities curable?
What is the cause of this discease? Is it due to long driving and being overweight in mycase? My average driving per day is 60-70 km weight s 100 kg.
Had a baby by C section in Feb 2012 and have not been able to lose my pregnancy weight. This discease occured to me after the baby, i never had this problem earlier....though I was driving equally long before the kid
I have done my calcium level test and it is 8.
I have hypothyroid since 2008 and am taking thyrox 125
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

The plantar fascia ligament is like a rubber band and loosens and contracts with movement. It also absorbs significant weight and pressure. Because of this function, plantar fasciitis can easily occur from a number of reasons.
Among the most common is an overload of physical activity or exercise.Excessive running, jumping, or other activities can easily place repetitive or excessive stress on the tissue and lead to tears and inflammation, resulting in moderate to severe pain.
In your case it seems to be due to overweight and long driving.

Do not worry it is curable.
A short term rest and take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis.

Preventing plantar fasciitis is crucial. There are many choices to help prevent the occurrence of this condition, and keep it from returning. One of the most important is maintaining a healthy weight in order to reduce tension on the plantar fascia. In addition, shoes are very important, and should fit well and provide ample cushioning and support throughout the heel, arch, and ball of the foot so that weight is distributed evenly throughout the foot. Try to avoid walking barefoot on hard surfaces and replace old shoes before they wear out

Hope this will help you let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.