Diagnosed with peripherial neuropaty. Have muscle wasting and pain. MRI showed vessel disease and stenosis

Nov 2013

hi my name is XXXXXXX . i was diagnosed with peripherial neuropaty i am 54 i was just at a neuroligist i have severe muscle wasting and severpain.he was sure i had als so did i but when he did the emg it just showed nerve damage.ihave gone down hill quickly i had an mri and it showed i have small vessel disease with numerous bilateral nonspecific white matter hyperintensities perventricular and subcortal .ialso have multilevel degenerative disc disease with right c5 foramen stenosis please forgive my typing ishake severely can this cause muscle wasting everywhere and severe stiffness thank you YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for your mail.

Though severe wasting with muscle twitchings (fasciculations) are a feature of EMG is a good news, it gives some positive hope in your case.

Severe neuropathy (probably due to diabetes in your case) can also cause wasting, pain and muscle twitchings.

C5 stenosis can cause localized muscle wasting in arm, and not a generalized one.

As of now, please continue physiotherapy and exercises. For nerve pain, pregabalin would be useful.

Repeat EMG after 3-6 months would help in clarifying the diagnosis further.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist