Diagnosed with pericarditis. Having chest pain, migraine and night sweats. Cause and cure?

I got diagnosis 7 days ago with percarditis and having severe chest pain still and migraines with night swets and neck pain. I have Ulcer colitis so before this I started this treatment on meds 2 weeks before heart problem. I am on Asacol 1200 mg in monring and then and night also folic acid pill, iron pill, vitamin. and prednisone 15mg morning 5 mg at night. when i went in for percarditis they said stay on prednisone and gave me ibeprfeion as well 800mg 3 times a day. The pain med helps some but still 5 out of 10 pain. 3 months ago i was taking off prednisone from a previous GI doctor thinking it caused my pancreas to inflame so now wondering if prednisone may of caused this to my heart to inflame. So want a opion on what a cause could be if medicine espicially if ear to chin is swollen. and how long does it take to heal percarditis
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Steroids are powerful anti-inflammatory agents. It is less likely that they have caused the past pancreas inflammation or the present pericardial inflammation. Steroids suppress inflammation.

Drugs used in ulcerative colitis at times have been implicated as causing pericarditis. You may have to consider their role in causing this and also the question of holding them... Discuss with your Gastro-enterologist – he will know better.

Still, it is wiser to investigate usual causes like infection and inflammation, like any other case.

Prednisolone is the ideal choice to treat in these circumstances / you are already taking.

It takes about two weeks for it to settle down.
You should be under the care of a cardiologist for observation to watch for effusion.

A multi-speciality team work in tertiary care hospital may be the best approach.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck