Diagnosed with peribronchitis. Having antibiotics and on steoid inhaler. What else could it be?

I have been diagnosed with peri bronchitis & was wondering if its XXXXXXX in any way. I've had 6 lots of antibiotics & am also on steroid inhaler. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It needs to be evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Considering non response of the peribronchitis to repeated course of antibiotics, it needs to be evaluated in detail by a Pulmonologist.
2. Investigations that would be required are Chest xray pa view, Pulmonary function tests, sputum exmination , bronchoscopy and HRCT thorax.
3. Obstructive airway disease needs to be ruled out.
4. In addition to steroid inhaler, you would also require regular combination inhalers and oral bronchodilators may be required.
5. Do consider flu and pneumococcal vaccination to prevent episodes of recurrent infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist