Diagnosed with peptic ulcer and severe stomach inflammation. Looking for proper treatment

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I've been diagnosed with a peptic ulcer and severe stomach inflammation. Consequentially, I can't hold any food down and it's very difficult for me to breath, because I can't push any air in and out with my stomach:( I literally can't leave my couch. What is going on???
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 52 minutes later

These symptoms are typical signs of your diagnosis. Ulcer disease and gastritis start with abdominal pain after meal, belching, nausea, bloating and feeling of fullness. If it progresses to severe stomach inflammation with peptic ulcer then stomach strictures(stomach narrowing) can cause inability to belch and difficulties in food passage.
Bloated stomach then presses the diaphragm(muscle important for breathing) what makes for breathing difficulties.

These attacks can be very unpleasant, especially after specific food and drinks such as fat food, alcohol, smoking and coffee. So these things need to be avoided.
I suppose that doctor gave you some antacid medicines but it needs to be combined with dietary changes as I said. You could also consider taking Tablet Prevacid OTC 1 tablet 1 hour before meals. It would help considerably with your symptoms.
Also try lying with upper body elevated or on your right side, avoid sitting, especially after meals and eat a lot of milk products ( yoghurt is not on that list) which would relieve pain.

Your stomach now needs time to recover. You simple need to follow this advice for at least 1 month so that gastric tissue can heal. Also you need to do stomach biopsy to see is there some bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. If this bacterium is present, we would need to prescribe a course of antibiotics to help you with your symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.