Diagnosed with pemphigoid. Treatment guidance?

I have been told that I have pemphigoid. Also that the treament is worse than the desease. Can you help in any way?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
I presume you have bullous pemphigoid. It is characterised by itchy red areas of skin which eventually blister. It is seen in people over 70 years of age. In many the condition wanes off after 5 to 6 years.
Treatment is in the form of topical steroids, topical antibiotics if infected. Severe cases may require systemic steroids, azathioprine, mycophenolate, or a pulse therapy of steroids and cyclophosphamide. A new drug called rituximab also offers good control of the disease.
It is wrong to say that tretment is worse than the disease. Consult a dermatologist so that your lesions can be assesses and topical or systemic therapy can be started.
Hope that helped.