Diagnosed with parkinsons disease. Started getting cramps in neck. Related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with parkinsons, over the last few days I have come up with severe muscle cramping in my neck,(left side) could it be related. its very painful,

Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The cramps in the neck muscles that you are having are not likely to be related to parkinson's disease.
There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone.

In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.

In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is possible for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.

Muscular spasms can be treated by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals provided there are no contraindications to their use (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary

It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.