Diagnosed with papiliary carcinoma. Suggest?

Oncologist, Radiation
One of my friend has diagonised with papiliary carcinoma. Could you please look at the attached report n provide your suggestion on how to proceed further.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX forum.

Your friend is diagnosed with papillary carcinoma deposit in cervical lymph node.

Thyroid nodule is also there. Now the possibility of papillary carcinoma deposit from thyroid is maximum. The question is whether to go for total thyroidectomy or lobectomy followed by frozen section to prove the diagnosis.

I do not know your friend's age. That is an important information as this is a part of indications for surgery.

Anyway, in my opinion a slide review is to be done. If the diagnosis is the same then total thyroidectomy and neck dissection to be done.

Post surgical evaluation of TSH, thyroglobulin, and antithyroid antibody should be done at 2-12 weeks.

You can consult with an oncosurgeon. I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with papiliary carcinoma. Suggest? 1 hour later
His age is 41years. Thanks

Thanks soo much for your suggestions. I will consult oncosurgeon as you suggested and keep you updated.
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 32 minutes later
Actually there are some criteria that indicate the possibility of lobectomy if all of them are fulfilled. like-
- age 15-45 years
-no neck node involvement
-no distant disease
-no aggressive variety
-no history of radiation
-tumor size less than 4 cm
-no extrathyroid extension

As your friend has neck node disease and if it is confirmed on review it will be better to go for total thyroidectomy and neck dissection.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 8 minutes later
I have tried to answer your query. I am happy to find it helpful to you. I will be there for further queries. Hope your friend can have best possible treatment.