Diagnosed with osteoporosis. Suggest some medication

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My mother is diagnosed with Ostoporasis.

Please suggest some medicine for her.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I am gone through your reports in detail-
Medicines used to prevent or treat osteoporosis include:

Bisphosphonates are the most common medications prescribed for osteoporosis treatment. These include:
Alendronate (Fosamax)
Risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia)
Ibandronate (Boniva)
Zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa)

Raloxifene (Evista), a selective Calcitonin (Calcimar or Miacalcin), a naturally occurring hormone that helps regulate calcium levels in your body Parathyroid hormone -postmenopausal women with severe osteoporosis who are at high risk for bone fracture. It is given by injection.

Densumab- used to treat women who are past menopause and who are at high risk for bone fracture. Given by injection, usually every 6 months.

Hormone therapy for osteoporosis in women.

Discuss with your doctor about these options for treating your mother osteoporosis.

If your mother takes medicine for osteoporosis, she will also need to get enough calcium and vitamin D, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly. A large part of treating or reducing the effects of osteoporosis is getting enough calcium and vitamin D.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.