Diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta during pregnancy. Child suspected with OI. How many hearing test should be done?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my son is 9mos, when I was 4 months pregnant he was diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta. I went through numerous tests endless ultrasounds not to mention the emotional stress I went through. When he was born he spent 4 days in the intensive care unit. His cells where tested and no disorders where found thanks God. His hearing was checked after birth and was scheduled for a second test at 9months this was done when it was suspected that he had OI, I was told people with OI have hearing problems anyway now that I know he's healthy I want to know if a second test is necessary when the first test came out ok? I don't want to put my son through any more unnecessary medical test other then his regular checkup's and shots. How many hearing test should an infant have? I have not notice any hearing problems. He spent 4days in the intensive care unit only because OI was suspected there was nothing physically wrong with him at birth.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 36 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I am really very happy for you that your child is born normal after a suspected osteogenesis imperfecta!!
There are 4 types of OI of varying severity.
It is a condition where there is no cure and mostly supportive treatment.

As you rightly said OI is associated with hearing defects.
So your doctors did hearing test.
(Are you sure that it was completely normal at that time?)
Because what was done at birth is only a screening test and at 9 months they will do a more specific test.
Sometimes an apparently normal child also may have some hearing problems.
I do understand your feelings in not wanting to do the test!
But at the same time there is nothing wrong in doing the test also ,so that you are 100% sure and get peace of mind.
Anyway theses tests are not painful and troublesome to the baby.
I wish your child a bright future!
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta during pregnancy. Child suspected with OI. How many hearing test should be done? 10 hours later
Dr. Uma, yes I was told he passed the test. Thank you for reassuring me that the test is not painful I just don't want him to go through with it if its not medically necessary. Thank you again, take care!
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 minutes later
Really I am extremely happy that your child is normal.
I have seen bad cases of OI in my neonatal and pediatric practice and hence this reaction!
I fully agree with you!
God Bless the child and the family.
All the best,my dear
Dr Uma