Diagnosed with osteochondral defect of femur. Having hip pain. Safe remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
right hip to knee pain I have pain that runs from the medial side of my right knee to my right hip. I have been diagnosed with a osteo chondral defect of my femur. Now I have pain in my right hip. At times my hip feels like it gets stuck and pops.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms point to a joint pathology. A disease of hip joint can cause pain to radiate to the knee and vice versa.

It does not seem to be a nerve related pain, as the radiation of pain would be much below, upto the ankle or toes.

For now, you can take diclofenac or ibuprofen tablets for pain relief.

Subsequently, you can consult an ortho or rheumatologist for detailed evaluation.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Diagnosed with osteochondral defect of femur. Having hip pain. Safe remedy? 35 minutes later
what kind of joint pathology would cause that because every now and then I have to wait for my hip to pop to be able to move?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

One needs to examine you to be able to pinpoint the exact cause. However, common causes could be mild joint inflammation such as mild arthritis; osteo chondral bone defect; etc.

In any case, it may not be any serious condition, as that would result in pain for prolonged periods.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM