Diagnosed with normocytic normochromic anaemia with mild anisocytosis poikilocytosis. Information on this?

My mother-in-law who is 89 years and 5 months old with reasonable good health has not been feeling too good. Her reports show that she has a hb of 9.3, pcv of 27, ESR of 30, XXXXXXX sodium of 120 and trace of albumin in her urine. The doctor's diagnosis is normocytic normochromic anaemia with mild anisocytosis poikilocytosis. What is this and what should be done for her? I live away from her and I need to know how serious is her condition.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

The condition you are describing is not a very serious problem.

You have not given the full blood picture. She is anemic and dehydrated having low salt in the body the reason she must be sick and listless and lethargic which needs immediate correction.

She is loosing protein in the urine. you need to have kidney functions also done to rule out protein deficiency related anemia.There are many other causes of anemia for which your doctor will examine your mother in law and prescribe the required tests to rule out the cause of anemia.

I am sure once the cause is treated your mother in law will be back to normalcy.
Dr. J. Ticku