Diagnosed with nondisplaced fracture of fibular head. Will it be safe to go for ski?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was just diagnosed with a small nondisplaced fracture of the left leg fibula head. I haven't seen the orthopedist yet. The injury occurred about 2.5 weeks ago after I was thrown from my bicycle. I had been limping around on it thinking I sprained my knee. Anyway, I have a ski trip planned in 3 weeks. Will I be able to ski?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later

Non displaced fracture of fibula head usually takes 4-6 weeks for complete healing with proper immobilisation.

Now it is already 2.5 weeks old. So, you need immobilisation of limb for 2-3 weeks more. If you do proper rest to the limb then you might be able to ski after 3 weeks.

I would suggest to consult an orthopedician nearby for proper evaluation and appropriate management.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with nondisplaced fracture of fibular head. Will it be safe to go for ski? 1 hour later
Thank you. I see an orthopedist on Monday. But Just to clarify, until I was diagnosed yesterday, I had not really immobilized it. So do you think starting now - 3 weeks of immobilization would probably be enough for it to heal enough to then start an activity like snow skiing?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again

Whether it is in healing stage or not depends upon clinical examination and X-ray findings.If it is in healing stage, then further 3 weeks of immobilization probably be enough for it to heal.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.