Diagnosed with non displaced fracture of proximal fibular head and medial meniscus tear. Having weakness. Should I limit my activities?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been diagnosed with a non displaced fracture of the left proximal fibular head and medial meniscus tear caused by a bike accident, my knee twisted as my foot in a clip pedal HAD to come out. I do noy know the severity of the tear. I am experiencing pain and knee weakness going down stairs. Should my activities be limited?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need a detailed evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The severity and extent of the meniscal tears can be known by undergoing an MRI scan of the injured knee. Apart from meniscal tears, it also helps in diagnosing the injuries to other soft tissue structures in the knee like Cruciate ligaments (ACL & PCL), Capsular tears, Fat pad injury etc.

If a meniscal tear is diagnosed, you have to definitely limit your activities.

A course of conservative management will help resolve the symptoms -
* activity modification by avoiding impact sports which causes more strain on the knee joint. Avoiding twisting activites may decrease the symptoms from a torn meniscus.
* using an elastic compression bandage to reduce the swelling
* Ice packing to alleviate the pain
* Physiotherapy to strengthen the quadriceps muscle. Quadriceps setting exercises with the knee straight or mini-squats,bending only to 15 degrees, to prevent giving way and keep the Quadriceps muscle from atrophying.

Small stable asymptomatic meniscus tears do not need to be treated surgically.

Those causing persistent symptoms should be assessed by Arthroscopy. The inner two thirds of the meniscus is avascular and often requires resection when torn. Return to full function may be expected in 6–8 weeks after an Arthroscopic menisectomy.

Tears in the peripheral third of the meniscus, if small (less than 15 mm), may heal spontaneously because there is a blood supply in this portion of the adult meniscus.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Diagnosed with non displaced fracture of proximal fibular head and medial meniscus tear. Having weakness. Should I limit my activities? 17 minutes later
Thank you doctor - I had the MRI and that was the basis for the diagnosis. I am unsure of what type of non displaced fracture I have, or the severity and location of the meniscus tear. I do not have a lot of pain, but the knee feels unstable and weak when going downstairs. I will get more detail. My doctor does not seem to be too concerned about my going up and down stairs. I am.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Undisplaced fracture will heal by itself.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Undisplaced fracture of the fibular head is not a matter of concern and will heal spontaneously (without any intervention) within 6-8 weeks.

The MRI scan report should specify the location, extent and Grading of the tear. Because the management of the meniscal tears is based on these findings.

As mentioned in my previous answer, Small stable meniscal tears can be managed conservatively. If your symptoms fail to improve along with recurrent painful episodes and knee effusions (swelling), you may need an Arthroscopic evaluation.

Consult your treating doctor and discuss the issues.

Good day