Diagnosed with momo. Tonsils swelling. Using oral mouth wash. Misdiagnosed?

Hello,my son was diagnosed with mono on 5/24/2013 and i'm not liking what he is going through,his tonsills are swelling over the last couple of days and we can't seem to find anything that will reduce the swelling,take the pain away he has been gargling with salt water 3 times a day,we bought some oragel mouthwash yesterday,nothing sees to work. I have a feeling that he was mis diagnosed,I don't wanna jump the gun. I wish there was something I could do for him. Any advice would be truely appreciated.
how much longer before i recieve a response?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Mono is a self limiting disease and rest, nutrition and hydration along with the supportive treatment is the key to relief. it usually take 1-2 weeks to resolve.
The symptoms of throat pain and swelling are suggestive severe Upper respiratory tract involvement.
It may be caused due mono as such or superimposed bacterial infections when viral infection stays unabated for 5-7 days.
You should prevent your son from exposure to cold, XXXXXXX enough warm cloths.
make sure he takes enough rest and takes lots of fluids like soups, lemon water, curds, tea and other household liquids and take a balanced diet.
Decongestant medicines like Wikoryl taken thrice a day are the main stay treatment.
He should get evaluated by a physician of your locality and get assessed if he also requires antibiotics. He should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after taking anything orally.
If he tends to have malaise and fever then take acetaminophen(paracetamol) 500mg as required.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing your son a good health.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with momo. Tonsils swelling. Using oral mouth wash. Misdiagnosed? 1 hour later
I should have mentioned that he has been on a antibiotic called cefdinir 300mg prior to 5-24-13,he has been sick with this virus for 4 weeks as of tomorrow,we have seen 4 different doctors over that period,my biggest concern is that there hasn't been any progress over this period. He hadn't tested positive for mono until friday the 24th. (The swelling of the tonsills over the last three days has gotten worse,thats been my biggest concern). I appreciate the advice you have given about how to properly gargle before eating,after eating he has just been doing it three times a day with a saline solution. He has been getting alot of rest over this period of time,is eating a fairly balanced diet considering that most of the foods cause pain while swallowing,he is drinking a ton of water also probably around 150-200 ounces a day. Hope this gives you a better idea of what we have been going through. Note: he was on amoxcillin 5/10/13 - 5/13/13 for what they thought was streep throat, 5/13/13 - 5/23/13 he was treated with cefdinir.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 12 hours later
Welcome back.
I can understand your concern.
I would advise you to continue the diligent care.
Include the Chlorhexidine gargles also as advised and the decongestants work wonders in such scenarios.
You should get Azithromycin prescribed by your physician for a 5days course.
I think with this updated regimen the boy will improve fast.