Diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Feeling irritated, anxious and fatigued. Is it psychological disorders?

I am 34 years woman working as a software engineer. I have been detected with mitral valve prolapse in 1999. My nature has become very irritable and anxious and some time become panic. Apart from that I suffer from SOB , fatigue. Are these symptoms of mvp or is it psycological disorders?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Mitral valve prolapse is indeed commonly associated with anxiety symptoms, especially the physical symptoms of anxiety like palpitations. When mitral valve prolapse is associated with mitral regurgitation, there can also be symptoms like shortness of breath, fatigue, atypical chest pain, dizziness or lightheadedness, etc.

Panic-like symptoms are also frequently repoted in people with MVP. However, irritability or a drastic change in nature are unlikely symptoms due to MVP. In any case, if the anxiety / panic symptoms are causing you significant distress or day-to-day dysfunction, then it is worthwhile to initiate treatment. I would suggest that the best idea would be to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment. Mild doses of anti-anxiety medication or anti-depressant medication (if you are found to have any depressive symptoms) or beta-blockers may help in relieving your symptoms. In addition, you can also try psychological techniques like relaxation therapies, XXXXXXX breathing, yoga, meditation etc. to deal with your anxiety symptoms.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow-up: Diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Feeling irritated, anxious and fatigued. Is it psychological disorders? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for the reply. I also have a tendency to dwell in thoughts and worry, becuase of which my career and personal life is at risk. I could do my job since last 9 years, but recently my irritation and getting angry on small thing is increased. I have consulted a psychiatrist and undergoing treatment. I have also done a 2D echo which shows a mild tricuspid valve regurgitation. I also have a mar-fan syndrome. Will I be able to continue my job as a software engineer or should I look for a different job which is less stressful?

Thanks and Warm Regards.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 20 hours later
Hello again and thanks for writing in.

Like I had mentioned earlier, the recent onset of symptoms like irritability, anger, poor frustration tolerance, etc. are not typical of the anxiety symptoms usually associated with the MVP. You also mention that you have worrying thoughts and ruminations. These symptoms may be indicative of a mild depression also. I would suggest that you go for a review with your psychiatrist - so that he can assess you more in detail for any underlying depression (which is causing these recent mood changes). If necessary, your medication has to be ror a you may need to take a mild dose of an anti-depressant for a short while.

Now, regarding your career decision, I would say that since you seem to be in a slightly tense state of mind now, I think it's better not to take any major decisions about your career or future right now. Once you feel more relaxed and at ease, then you can patiently think about any major decisions, because if you are mind is tensed, you may not be able to think clearly and make the right decision. Moreover, since you have been able to do this job for the last 9 years, I don't think there should be any major restriction for continuing. If possible, you can take a short break from work (just for a few days) to relax, de-stress and rejuvente yourself and then re-join. You can also try to dedicate at least half an hour everyday for yourself, when you can be alone, not think of any work or family problems and do something which you find relaxing and enjoyable. It can work as a good stress buster.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist