Diagnosed with mild LVH and Echo suggested weakening of lateral myocardium. Suggestions

Hi I am seeing a cardio on Weds...I have been diagnosed with mild LVH for many years, BP has been normal, recent Echo was read as having an EF of between 45 and 50 % and the Echo suggested also a weakening of the lateral myocardium (assume betwen the left atrium and ventricle...literally no symptoms to speak of..just rowed 500 meters yesterday on an ERG rower with zero fatigue/chest pains etc.....only other concern is that my wife thinks I may have some sleep apnea...and i could defintley lose 20 pounds although the extra weight has not slowed me down in terms of any physical activity..your thoughts..tks FYI that was 5000 meters not 500..about 23 minutes of constant rowing Additonal info...taking 50 mcg synthroid for a mild issue with thyroid (borderline according to Endo...also taking 40 mg simvastatin (cholesterol numbers are good) and 5mg finestrine for mild bladder vitamins and relatively high dose of Vitamin D 5000/daily
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to LVH. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Ejection Fraction (EF) helps us in understanding the pumping ability of the heart and the likelihood of having a heart failure. An EF of 45-50% is below the normal levels. A normal left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) is 55 to 75 percent. LVH can cause a decline in EF. It is good that you are not having any symptoms right now but you need to take measures to increase this EF by limiting your salt intake, regular exercise and restricting the excessive fluid intake to avoid accumulation of fluid in the lungs. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with mild LVH and Echo suggested weakening of lateral myocardium. Suggestions 54 minutes later
Dr tks for your quick response. Based on what you wrote, can EF actually be improved by the measures you suggest?..Also will fairly vigorous exercise be OK? I ref High Varsity basketball....also could the cardio that read my echo possibly just got it wrong?. Finally if you will making the call would you order a stress test as well as a sleep study based on the belief that I may be exhibiting sleep apnea..tks again...wishing you good health as well..KGF
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. EF can improve. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The EF can improve to some extent with these measures. A fairly vigorous exercise is allowed if the stress test comes normal and there is no breathlessness. EF is less likely to be wrong while doing Echo. A sleep study and stress test are recommended. You can request for these tests on your visit to cardiologist. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards