Diagnosed with migraine headaches. Taking topamax. Having pain behind eyes and blurry vision. Sensitive to light. Is this due to migraine?

Mar 2016

I have been diagnosed with migraine headaches. They are really bad leading up to my period, during my period and even a week after it. I have tried topamax and it didn't work. I take maxalt. I am having pain behind my eyes and my vision is blurry. I don't have a headache now, but I am very sensitive to light and eye is still blurry and sore. Is this still a part of the migraines?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my advise:

1) From your clinical presentation, it is mostly suggestive of migraine headache. It is quite common in reproductive age group women. It is triggered by various factors like stress, improper diet, lack of sleep, hormonal imbalance, menstrual disturbance, exposure to bright light or heavy sound, using OCP, certain foods (like cheese, chocolate, red wine, onions, meat, smoked fish etc), change in weather etc.

Here, I suggest you to avoid or correct above said triggering agents by taking appropriate measurements. It will be benefited for you for controlling migraine headache.

2) You can take flunarizine (like Sibelium etc) group of medication for prophylaxis treatment of migraine headache. It is quite effective and I treat my patient with regular dose. Kindly, consult with doctor for complete prescription.

3) One consultancy is required with your ophthalmologist for clinical examination of your eyes and to eliminate refractive error (if detected) by proper glass or contact lens.

Follow some healthy tips to avoid recurrent migraine headache:

1) Take balanced diet with anti-oxidant supplements. Drink more water 2.5 to 3 lit/ day and eat green vegetables.

2) Do regular meditation or yoga for 15 to 30 min to avoid mental stress or anxiety.

3) Avoid salt/ coffee/ tea/ ice-cream/ fatty foods in the 2nd half of menstrual cycle.

4) Do regular light exercise or walking for physical fitness and take sound sleep.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion in case of not having other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through