Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with microscopic blood in urine. What could be the reason?

For the last 3 doctor visits (obgyn. Family Dr and urologist) I have been diagnosed with microscopic blood in my urine. I will be getting a bladder test -- cyto something may 7. What other reasons can blood be in my XXXXXXX if it's. Not a tumid in my bladder? There is no bacteria and I do not have pain urinating and I only have occasional abdomen pain.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 15 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
Three common causes.
1. Urinary tract infection - has been already excluded.
2. Stone in the urinary tract.
3. Tumour- of course you have been told about it and cystoscopy is done to look for the same.
If none of these are found, there should be no worry.

Since not all infections show up in the urine test and also because it is the most common cause in women, i usually treat them with a course of antibiotics.
Best regards
Follow-up: Diagnosed with microscopic blood in urine. What could be the reason? 24 hours later
My doctor believed that since there was no bacteria found treating me with antibiotics was not useful. What if I have had an infection for 3 or 4 weeks while they are trying to figure out what's going on? Also an ultrasound was done and was normal. Dr said if it's a small tumor it would not show up there. Is good news in itself that it may be small? Of course I am hoping there is no tumor at all. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hematuria workup completes only with cystoscopy.
So, please undergo the same and decision can be made based on the findings.
best regards
Follow-up: Diagnosed with microscopic blood in urine. What could be the reason? 9 days later
Had bladder cytoscopy today and I was able to see what Dr saw. It was something that looked like strings or spider legs. The Dr admitted she never saw anything like it. She says I would have to have a biopsy done to test it. Have you any idea what it could be? She said worse case scenario is that it's the early stage of cancer. It didn't look like a tumor..she said it could be the cause of blood in my urinr. Could this be something left in me by my hysterectomy suugery a year ago?
Welcome back.
The same findings can be seen in inflammation also.
However, a biopsy is confirmatory.
Hysterectomy usually does not disturb the mucosa of the bladder.
Best regards