Diagnosed with meniers and prescribed with triamterene. Off balance and seasonal allergies. Allergic to penicillin and tetracycline. Cure?

ENT Specialist
was "diagnosed with 'meniers' approx. 2 1/2 - 3years ago. triamterene was prescribed, this does not work, I am so off balance feel like I've been sleeping on a boat / old elevator feels like things are moving when theyre not. I do have seasonal allergies which I manage with Claritin D I have 7 parrots inside my home one old cat and a couple of short hair dogs. my hearing tests show I have 'excellent' hearing yet I have become increasingly dizzy. I have someone else drive me to work sometimes or park my car even. a C.T. scan of my sinuses shows they are clear after some sinus infections had been treated. I am allergic to penicillin, tetracycline & some sulfa drugs. also shellfish but not crusteceans.. help I can't hold on to the counter forever.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Meniere's disease should normally respond to a salt restricted diet, acetazolamide (Diamox) and betahistine (Vertin). Triamterene is a diuretic with a generalized action not specific to the inner ear.

2. Bioidentical hormone replace ment therapy may be causing water retention thereby worsening your Meniere's symptoms.

3. If you have parrots at home, you must consider Psittacosis and in addition there are certain zoonotic diseases in domesticated cats, too.

4. There is no cure for allergy or Meniere's disease. However both may be controlled.
The best option for allergy is avoidance.

5. Meniere's disease is diagnosed on the following criteria:
a. Vertigo
b. Fluctuating hearing loss
c. Tinnitus (abnormal sounds in the ear)
d. Fullness in the ear
There is usually nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting, the hearing usually worsens during an attack and the tinnitus also worsens.

6. You should get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done to document any hearing loss. Meniere's disease usually causes low frequency hearing loss initially ( an Audiogram sloping to left).

7. If you can rule out the above issues, there are other treatments for Meniere's that can be discussed.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.