Diagnosed with meneires. Got worse after operation. MRI done. Feeling dizzy and ear pain. Concerned

ENT Specialist
I was diagnosed with Meneires in 1992 Operated on in 2002 with gentramiasin---got worse -hearing not affected --only releive is Valium--works for 2 days ,grog works for about 5 hours --had an MRI it worked for about3 weeks ,I wear magnets on my head--it helps----removing the balance thingy out of my inner ear ,will it give me back my balance I'm totally shot every day with my dizzyness ---get tinitus and severe shooting pains in my ear ?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that your Meniere's disease was diagnosed in 1992 on the following criteria:
a. Vertigo
b. Fluctuating hearing loss
c. Tinnitus
d. Fullness in the ear
There is usually nausea and vomiting, the hearing usually worsens during an attack and the tinnitus also worsens. Earache is not a usual symptom.

2. Meniere's disease should normally respond to a salt restricted diet, acetazolamide (diamox) and betahistine (Vertin).

3. If you do go in for another MRI (for example for the shooting pains), try a 3 Tesla Scan. It may pick up the subtle changes due to Meniere's Disease in the inner ear.

4. If steroids have not controlled your Tinnitus and your middle ear is normal (no eustachian dysfunction), then you may try Caroverine (Tinnex) injectable or capsules.

5. Labyrinthectomy is a last resort. Before that you should try transtympanic steroids, a few sessions with a Meniette apparatus or an Enttex-P 100/300 pressure apparatus.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.