Diagnosed with mastocytosis. Blood and urine test done. What should I do next?

Sep 2012

hi, i have been told by my skin specialist (confirmed by a skin biopsy) that i have Mastocytosis.... also i have had a blood test for Trypaste... level was 24.5........waiting on 24hr urine test to come back...... what do you think my next move should be? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, there are many diseases associated with mastocytosis. Most common is the urticaria pigmentosa. It is the cutaneous mastocytosis. You are suffering from this disease.

Here, apart from doing tests for mast cell enzymes in blood and urine, you have to undergo a systemic mastocytosis. In case of systemic mastocytosis, a complete blood count should be done for search of mast cells in peripheral blood. In that case, immunofluorescence study should be performed for detection of character of these mast cells.

So, you have to consult with your treating doctor about the bone marrow biopsy. It is your next move.

Regarding the treatment, helpful medicines are antihistamines, leukotriene inhibitors, corticosteroids, mast cell stabilizer. But, a particular drug should be chosen depending on your clinical profile. So, you have to consult with your treating doctor about this.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.