Diagnosed with mass anterior of the cervix with some internal and peripheral vascularity. Any treatment?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Question
I have been told that I have an 5.3 x 4.9 x 4 cm mass anterior of the cervix with some XXXXXXX and peripheral vascularity??
I had an ultrasound. I have been having regular but heavy periods over the past 12 months or so. I had break through bleeding last month and decided to investigate but waited until I finished an overseas holiday. Just now I did a cat scan with iodine and having an mri on Monday. I have to get through the weekend (in Australia) feeling extremely worried. After googling many times I found that you can have fibroids anterior to the cervix? Is this correct. This mass is big and I am worried it is cancer that will kill me
I should add that there were no adnexal masses or free fluid within the pelvis
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I have read it in detail and much concern.

It seems like you have a mass in the anterior part of the cervix. It is probably suggestive of cervical fibroid. Fibroids are benign tumors of the muscle layer. The chances of these becoming cacer are only 0.5%.

They can be excised surgically and you can lead a normal life thereafter.

Please do write to me the CAT scan and MRI report to comment further. Meanwhile there is no need to worry or panic.

Do write back for further queries, if you have.

With good wishes

Follow-up: Diagnosed with mass anterior of the cervix with some internal and peripheral vascularity. Any treatment? 1 hour later
Hi I hope you are right. I hope I was clear - this is verbatim from the report
"There is a large heterogeneous mass measuring 4.9cmx5.3cmx4.4cm seen anterior to the cervix. Some peripheral and XXXXXXX vascularity is seen within this mass on colour doppler XXXXXXX They did not mention fibroids. Can a fibroid be anterior to the cervix? Sorry I am paranoid

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 6 hours later

The verbatim from the report "There is a large heterogeneous mass measuring 4.9cmx5.3cmx4.4cm seen anterior to the cervix Some peripheral and XXXXXXX vascularity is seen within this mass on colour Doppler" - This report has to be confirmed with other findings of clinical examination.

I suggest you to undergo a detailed pelvic examination by a competent gynecologist to ascertain the exact location and extent of the tumour.

I will be available for further comments if you can provide the details of the clinical examination.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Good luck!