Diagnosed with macular hypoplasia. Cure?

My daughter is 4 yr old and she was diagnosed with isolated macular hypoplasia when she was 6 months old. I have been told that the condition is not degenerative and her vision will neither get better nor worse. Has there been any stem cell research that will cure this condition? If it is can you please tell me where it is available?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 8 hours later

Isolated macular(foveal) hypoplasia is rare genetic disorder. It is characterised by loss of the normal foveal contour. It is not a degenerative condition. So the vision will not get worse. If she has nystagmus(jerky movement of the eyes) then the vision will be low. Stem cell therapy for retinal and macular disorders is still in research stage (animal trials). Human trials have not yet begun. Maybe in the next ten years there will be some progress. I would advice you to take your daughter for 6 monthly eye checkups and monitor her vision. She might require glasses.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah