Diagnosed with lung cancer. Will I get the symptoms of heart attack?

Does lung cancer feel like a heart attack?
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for choosing us to serve you.

Yes sir, many patients diagnosed to have lung cancer experience symptoms similar to that of a heart attack. But, they are still advised to report to their doctor whenever they experience this, especially:
-Those with a history of cardiac ailments
-Age above 50 years

Where up to 20-30 % of patients with lung cancer are absolutely asymptomatic (no symptoms), others experience symptoms like:
-Chest pain (similar to cardiac/heart pain)
-Shortness of breath (also experienced in a heart attack)
-Shoulder pain (also experienced in a heart attack)
-Hemoptysis (coughing of blood)

Symptoms experienced by patients with a more advanced stage of cancer:
-Blurred vision
-Hoarseness of voice
-Difficulty swallowing
and many more.

Please keep your treating doctor in the loop, and also run all investigations to ensure your cardiac status. Once we realize that you have a healthy heart, we wouldn't have to look into it the next time such pain arises (hoping it doesn't).

I hope my response was helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.