Diagnosed with lumbar radiculapathy and bi-lateral carpel tunnel syndrome. Bone scan showed arthritis in knees and shoulders. Suggest

General Surgeon
The skin on my hands has begun to peel and become leathery in texture. This has also happened to my feet, regardless of how many steps I take to moisturize - several times daily. I have been diagnosed with lumbar radiculapathy and bi-lateral carpel tunnel syndrome and I have neuropathy and paresthesia in my feet - more so on the left foot. Also recent bone scan revealed "significant" athritis in both feet, knees and shoulders. But no osteomyelitis or RDS. Blood test revealed "elevated inflammation levels"... THank you for your assistance.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Vitamin E and Essential fatty acid wil help. Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXXXX It's quite common to see peeling of skin in cases of Neuropathy. It occurs due loss of tone of blood vessels supplying the skin and also due to decreased sensation of the skin. As you have carpal tunnel syndrome which is causing compression Neuropathy in both hands and also you have Neuropathy in both legs. I suggest you the following which will definitely decrease the skin peeling 1. Local application of Vitamin E and aloe Vera cream along with with oral Vitamin E and multi vitamin combination will help. 2. Intake of Essential fatty acids(deficiency of which may lead to dry skin and peeling) - Substituting your regular cooking oil with Olive / Sunflower oil and one table spoon intake of Faxseed Oil per day will provide you with daily requirements of essential fatty acids. 3 . Taking one capsule of Cod Liver Oil everyday is also beneficial. 4. Avoid exposure to extremes of temperature. Wear soft protective clothing like gloves if getting exposed to cold. 5. Avoid frequent hand wash and wetting of skin. I hope it helped. Kindly get back to me if you have any other query. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon