Diagnosed with low progesterone, desire to conceive. Prescribed vaginal inserts. Fearful due to high cholesterol level

I am attempting to get preganant, and my fertility doctor has diagnosed me with low progesterone (tested 3 days post ovulation) -- he has prescribed vaginal inserts, however I am very fearful of the potential side effects (blood clots, stroke, etc).
I am 41 years old, 5'1 175 lbs with total cholesterol of 220 (high triglycerides)
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern.

It is common for infertility specialists to use progesterone.

In medicine a drug is used when benefits outweigh the risks.

By using progeserone the chances of getting pregnant are higher.

When used for a short period progesterone is unlikely to cause any major side effects. hence its reasonable to use it.

It may cause dizziness etc. but the chances of blood clots and stroke are very less.

If you have a personal or family history of clots then you need a more detailed history, examination and investigations to identify if you belong to high risk group.

At 41 fertility is lower and there are not many fertile years remaining. So make use of the time by taking adequate treatment.

Please get any high risk excluded by detailed history and then you may reach a conclusion whether you want to take progesterone or not.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back to me if you have further concerns.

Wishing you good health,