Diagnosed with low muscle tone in upper body. Receiving PT. MRI normal. Used anesthesia during test. Anesthesia caused elevated level of CPK?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 14 month old was diagnosed with low muscle tone in his upper body and core at 10 months, he has been receiving PT ever since and has made great gains. He can even take steps now with a push walker. He was referred to a neurologist for further testing. MRI and EEG have come back normal. The only abnormality was a high level of CPK, 5749. This blood test was taken while under anesthesia for his MRI. We are now being told to test for muscular dystrophy. My question is could the anesthesia have made this elevated? And should it be retested? No one in our family has any form of MD. He had also finished amoxicillin-clav for an ear infection the day before he test.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

The CPK will never go as high as 5000 because of General anaesthesia or antibiotics or ear infection.

Repeating the blood sample is good idea, but give it 2-4 weeks before repeating it.

From the history you giving me and blood results in the report I believe that muscular dystrophy is a likely diagnosis unfortunately.

I hope your son gets better soon.