Diagnosed with liver cirrhosi, sportal hypertension and enlarged spleen. Stopped alcohol. Chances of survival?

My husband had an abdominal scan in July 2013 and was diagnosed with advanced liver cirrhosis, portal hypertension, enlarged spleen, low platelet count (about 58). He is 68 years old. He has jaundice, swelling of his feet, legs & abdomen and extremely fatigued. Also, I have to change his pillow case every day due to blood or discharge from his mouth. He recently had successful surgery from a malignant melanoma. It was removed and had not spread thru the lymph nodes.
He was initially diagnosed with cirrhosis by fluke. He contracted malaria in the Domincan Republic while on vacation 6 years ago. He has not stopped drinking nor does he seek medical care for the cirrhosis. At this rate, how long does he have to live? It is very frustrating for me to see his deterioration and his refusal to seek medical care! Please do not tell me that he needs to see a Dr. ASAP. I already know that. I want to know with these symptons and the time since his initial diagnosis, what are the chances that he will survive long enough to see our son graduate from college (2-3 years)? Thank you!

Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to predict

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is a very difficult question to answer with any accuracy. I would have to say that this depends on the severity of his liver failure as well as the degree to which the liver damage has caused problems with his blood's ability to coagulate.

survival maybe measured in months for some people and in some cases. I cannot guarantee that he will survive multiple years without appropriate medical care as well as discontinuation of alcohol consumption.

it sounds like this is a serious issue which needs to be comprehensively addressed by both of you as well as any physicians that are managing his care.

Thanks again for sending the question. Again I'm sorry that I cannot provide you with specific quantity of time that we can expect regarding his survival as there are many factors that play a role in estimating this.

please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga