Diagnosed with lichen planus. Using cortisteriod cream. Noticed blisters on genital area. Cure?

Dec 2012

I am a 43 yr old male that has been diagnosed with lichen planus. I had an outbreak on my feet and wrists initially when diagnosed. I was prescribed a cortisteriod cream and eventually effected area subdued. I am now experiencing an outbreak in my genital area and have large blisters forming...some have popped as you would say and was wondering can these open sores trap or develop bacterial conditions that stem to other things during sexual intercourse with my wife?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX
I am very pleased to be able to assist you with your health query,

Blisters forming around the genitals could be as a result of herpes genitals or the lichen planus itself (but it primary lesion is usually papules which can blister or ulcerated).
Now to answer your question? Yes the open sores can get infected with bacterial (but usually the normal staph, strep or typical body bacteria) but hardly STDs (such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis etc) if your sexual partner is STD free. Given that they are open you risk developing an ulcer or an infected wound. So you will need the sores checked and appropriate treatment given so as to prevent any possible infections.

Hope this answers your question and if you got any further query, please feel free to write back.
Dr. Bernard