Diagnosed with lichen planus. Taking steroids. What is the permanent remedy ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
I have lichen planus on my hands. It started on its own. I consulted a skin specialist and he prescribed steroid tablets and cream. I took it for 15 days and then stopped it as i was worried as to the intake of steroids. Till the time I took the medicine my allergy was fine, however after quitting, the allergy has surfaced up again. Please prescribe me medicine which can cure this allergy and which does not affect my health.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
Apologies for the delay..apparently a glitch..typed you a long note & got deleted :(
Anyways, Lichen Planus is NOT an allergy. It is an inflammatory papulosquamous skin disorder. It is annoying & sometimes intensely itchy.
I understand your fear of systemic steroids. Perhaps you can consider an alternative & use local/topical steroids & an antihistamine like levocetrizine 10mg at 6 pm evenings that will give you symptomatic relief as in most cases Lichen Planus is self-limiting.
Trust this will have helped calm your nerves & given you a sense of direction. Dont worry all is well...but please do not stop medications suddenly without consulting your doctor as it may have a 'rebound ' phenomenon such as you are currently experiencing.
Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Diagnosed with lichen planus. Taking steroids. What is the permanent remedy ? 4 minutes later
Thanks for the reply XXXXXXX

Can you please suggest name of a local/topical steroids so that I can buy it and use it and will applying zincoterm help

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 minutes later
Hi there. Apologies but am Dr Praveen; not XXXXXXX ..i do trust you were not looking for some XXXXXXX in particular...this query was directed to me.
Locoid may be one trade name that may be available in your parts or perhaps Eumosone or Betnovate. Yes Zincoterm will also help more as an emollient. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Diagnosed with lichen planus. Taking steroids. What is the permanent remedy ? 9 minutes later
Thanks and sorry was sending a mail to someone called XXXXXXX and got confused :(

So I can take Vozet - 10 mg and apply this locoid twice a day.. Should i consult some dermat? or should i take these medicines religiously and see if it works out?

And one more query - why one suffers from lichen planus? Is it due to bad immune system or is it due to some allergy

Hi there.
Lichen planus is definitely not due to an allergy & not because of a bad immune system either. The aeitology has many theories & autoimmune is one of them ....to be simplistic a touch akin to how one gets diabetes.
Yes you can try my suggestions for a month but it is always adviseable to go to a dermatologist nearest you.
Regds & here's to attaining good symptomatic relief! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD