Diagnosed with lazy thyroid gland. Trying to conceive. What should I do to lower the TSH level?

I am 37 years old female, 58 kg and fit. I was diagnosed with lazy thyroid gland 2004 and since then I have taken Levaxin 100 micrograms 6 days a week. In my last bloodtest my TSH level was 4,9 and FT4 16,3 and I told it was all normal. I have been trying to get pregnant form many years and have gone through IVF and no success.
From reading articles I thing 4,9 of TSH is not normal. How should I lower the TSH level and what should I increase the dosage?
My eggs will be harvested after one week in my second IVF and I feel like I should have as much affect on the TSH as I can as I got these information yesterday.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

You are absolutely right that a TSH level of 4.9 is NOT NORMAL for planning a pregnancy.

Prior to conception, TSH levels should be maintained below 2.5mU/l.

This is done by taking levothyroxine (levaxin). If you are already on levaxin then it means the dose you are taking is not sufficient and you to need to INCREASE the dose of levaxin by consulting your endocrinologist.

Thyroxine dose should be increased by 30-50% in pregnancy.
TSH should be monitored 4-6 weekly with subsequent increase in thyroxine dose until normal level of TSH is achieved.

It is recommended that TSH levels are maintained below 2.5 mU/l before planning pregnancy and in the first 3 months of pregnancy.
Its should be below 3 mU/l in later pregnancy.

Uncontrolled thyroid problem can lead to many problems like miscarriage, still birth, raised blood pressure(pre eclampsia)and placental problems.

Also the infertility problem you have can be very well explained by the thyroid problem you have.

You should normalize your TSH levels before you undergo an important procedure like IVF.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with lazy thyroid gland. Trying to conceive. What should I do to lower the TSH level? 2 days later
Thank you for your good answer. I have now got new blood test and it looks better for me. My egg harvest will be on monday but I have had flue since last saturday, thought first it was just a cold but i have been with very much trout pain and headache and with fever. I am worried, and today (wednesday I had 38°c) I am taking paracedamole to lower the fever but I am worried. Do you have any information about influence and IVF or pregnancy??? Of all weeks of the year this was the worst to get flue.
All my best, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 3 hours later
Hello there.

You are welcome for queries.

Paracetamol used according to the normal dosage instructions is safe.
It would not affect your IVF results.