Diagnosed with large prostate. Suggested biopsy. Had heart attack. Suggestions?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I was diagnosed with a large prostate.
Today I went to an Urologist and he with a rectal examination confirmed it and at the same time he found a bump
in my prostate. He requested a biopsy , not in a rush , and I decided to do it in three weeks.
He told me not to worry since 80% of the tests are coming up negative and only 20% positive.
I am a 75 years old and I am a little worry of the outcome.
Any suggestions / recommendations/ prognosis ?.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have consulted Urologist who on clinical examination and digital rectal examination suspected a bump in your prostate.
Normally the hard nodules palpated on digital rectal examination is suggestive of cancer of Prostate. and this doubt has to be ruled out which can be accomplished only by doing a needle biopsy of the Prostate.
By the way what is your serum PSA levels. If it is not done please get it done after a week Serum PSA is a basic investigation tools to rule out or to confirm the cancer of the Prostate.
It is always raised in cancer of the prostate.
Please do not worry get prostate biopsy done as advised by your Urologist.Itwill help you in resolving your problem and to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Diagnosed with large prostate. Suggested biopsy. Had heart attack. Suggestions? 22 minutes later

Doctor,

The urologist told me that 80% of tests are negative, only 20% are positive.

Is this true

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
It is difficult to comment on quantitative basis rather than specific test results.
I shall be able to make comments if if you post me the reports of all the test that you have undergone.
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with large prostate. Suggested biopsy. Had heart attack. Suggestions? 10 minutes later
Doctor,

Sorry that I did not explain.
What the urologist told me that the Biopsy Tests that I will do 80% are coming out negative and only 20% are showing positive.
Your comment please

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 32 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
The prostate biopsy is a highly specific histopathological test where tissue samples are taken from 9-13 sites of prostate from different locations.
It is 100% positive if cancer is present and 0% if there is no cancer of the prostate.(All or None Law)
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.