Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with large Arachnoid cyst in the frontal lobe. Had craniotomy. Suffer headache after surgery. Cyst turns out to be problem again?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2756 Questions
Dear sir, madam,
18 Months ago I was diagnosed with a large Arachnoid cyst in the frontal lobe (leftside). I had a craniotomy (with fenestration) because of hydrocefaly. After surgery my enormous headaches were gone and I felt really relieved. Now, 18 months later, that typical headaches turned back. How likely is the change that the cyst turns out to be a problem again?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes they are recurrent

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Arachnoid cysts have a problem of recurrence when treated with fenestration. There are many different reports but the average rate is around 20% chance. Now that is quite high and you definitely need a repeat CT scan. Taking it positively, there is 80% chance that it could not be a recurrence and it could be due to some other cause.
Even if it is recurrence you should go ahead with craniotomy with removal of the cyst along with the wall.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with large Arachnoid cyst in the frontal lobe. Had craniotomy. Suffer headache after surgery. Cyst turns out to be problem again? 19 minutes later
Dear sir,
Thanks for you quick and helpfull answer. I really appreciate that. Tomorrow I Will XXXXXXX my neurosurgeon. What can I ask him? Maybe you can help me a bit with the preparation on my meeting with my neurosurgeon?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
A CT scan

Detailed Answer:
Firstly you should insist for a fresh CT scan.
Thereafter you may ask him about the all the possible surgical interventions and their success rates.
Regarding the duration of recovery and possibility of any disability if there is a surgery.
Dr, Srikanth Reddy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor