Diagnosed with kidney stone. Having extreme hot and cold flashes. Suggestions

Geriatrics Specialist
I went to the ER last night and they diagnosed me with a kidney stone. However I am having extreme hot and cold flashes, my neck is so sore, it hurts to swallow and my head feels like it is going to explode
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing to us,

1. Kidney stones are not a rare condition. It is usually related with inadequate water intake and cold flashes are mostly due to stress induced cause, other common causes are menopause, smoking, caffeine, alcoholism, etc.
Similarly sore throat can be related to throat infection. And severe headaches may be due to migraine.

3. However all the reported symptoms could be related to systemic infection. I wonder if you have undergone blood tests along with ultrasound scan - they can provide clues to suspect infection. Therefore discuss with your treating doctors.

4. In the interim drinking plenty of fluids can be helpful in the treatment of kidney stones; salt water or betaine gargles soothe the throat and Tylenol pain relief should take care of headache.

Let me know if you have further questions,