Diagnosed with kidney cancer. What treatment should be done?

Sep 2012

my husband (age 75) has been diagnosed with kidney cancer. because of other medical problems the doctors are hesitant to do ANYTHING! (we're dealing with the VA here}. I want him to go to the nearby Mayo clinic for further testing and treatment. Your opinion?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, in case of very advanced stage of kidney cancer, there may be difficulty in surgery. But in that case, at least palliative care should be given to the patient.

That means, stage of the cancer is very important and depending upon the stage, the treatment should be given. So, first of all, tumor size, presence of lymph node, presence of metastasis, should be noted. A biopsy should be done to have the histological grading and type of the lesion.

These parameters will give the stage of the cancer. In case of stage IV conservative management has priority. But sometimes a debulking operation may be tried to reduce to tumor burden. Modern treatment modalities using the latest drugs like tyrosine kinase inhibitor or a monoclonal antibiotic should be tried.

I want to say that something has to be done to your husband. So, it would be better for you to go to Mayo clinic for a better management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.