Diagnosed with iron-deficiency and hypothyroid. Had delayed period and now heavy bleeding. Reason?

I am currently on day 3 of my period. It was about 3 days late, heavier than normal, but no problems until 3 hrs ago. I soaked through a super plus tampon through my panties & jeans in less than an hr and passed a "ping pong" sized piece of red tissue (not a clot); there were a few small clots with the blood as well. After getting cleaned up less than hr later the same happened: soaked through super-plus tampon through my panties and jeans & passed an even larger piece of red tissue; very small clot or two. I am not pregnant, married (no other partners), & husband has vasectomy. I was just diagnosed with iron-deficiency (not anemic) & hypothyroid on March there or correlation or could it be something else? Surely its not miscarriage right?!?!
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Well, in any woman who had a delayed period and now heavy bleeding, a miscarriage has to be a consideration, even in the setting of a partner with a vasectomy (which has a small risk of failure). So besides checking a pregnancy test, here are the other considerations:

1. Related to thyroid disease, which causes absent ovulation, a buildup of the lining, and heavy irregular bleeding
2. An anatomic change, such as polyps or fibroids

This will likely revert to normal with adequate control of your thyroid disease. In the meantime, consideration of starting birth control pills to regulate your bleeding should be considered.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have followup questions. Also, remember to leave feedback about this answer!