Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. Tests and treatment involved?

General Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. Could you explain the tests and treatments involved? It has caused me severe, almost debilitating pain, why is that?
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 7 hours later
Intestitial cystitis is commonly diagnosed after exclusion of conditions like bladder cancer etc.
Potassium sensitivity test is done for diagnosis.Here,water and potassium chloride are instilled in the bladder.If you feel more pain and uregency with potassium chloride than water,Intestitial cystitis is confirmed.People with normal bladder can't tell the difference between the two.
Cystoscopy will be done to inspect the bladder.
Anti inflammatory drug,Anti histamine,Tri cyclic anti depressants will be helpful.
One drug by name Pentosan is used specifically for this.
Trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and instillation of medication like Dimethy sulfoxide are effective in some.
The pain in this condition is most commonly due to bladder pressure.
Hope i answered your query
Wish you speedy recovery
Follow-up: Diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. Tests and treatment involved? 13 hours later
I am unable to take NSAIDs due to gastritis, what antihistamines are frequently used? How is a cytoscopy carried out?

My gynae also told me I have very tight pelvic floor muscles, these are spasming causing pain, how would this come about?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 48 minutes later
Antihistamine like Diphenhydramine or Loratidine are used.
Cystoscopy is the inspection of urinary bladder,urethra,ureteral openings by an instrument which is flexible.The scope is passed into urinary bladder through urethra
Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation will help in spasm of pelvic floor muscles.
Wish you good health