Diagnosed with internal hernia. What treatment should be done for cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Yes I saw my GP yesterday and he diagnosed a possible interial hernia and is sending me for a CT tomorrow. How common is this , how serioous , and how is it fixed. He told me but i think I was more in shock to hesr what he said. I am a female 47 generally healthy.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

You probably mean "internal hernia", not "interial". I dont see how can someone diagnose such hernias without diagnostic tests. It is not very common,especially if you didn't have any abdominal operation in the past/

But if this diagnosis will be confirmed then the only way to treat this is surgical procedure. CT will surely find it if there is anything to find.
You dont need to be worried, this is a routine procedure.

Hernias are not serious until some complications develop such as strangulation or inflammation . If you feel sharp pain,fever, skin redness above it or vomiting with abdominal bloating then go to hospital as soon as you can.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.