Diagnosed with incisional hernia and an umbilical hernia. Concerned?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have just been diagnosed with an Incisional hernia and an umbilical hernia. I have pain after I eat and severe gas as well as bm only using stool softener and stool is at times like tar or very dark paste? I had an ALIF in Dec and Hernia popped out in late Jan! Ct scan confirmed FINALLY a few days ago. Should I be concerned or is it ok to wait to discuss plan until Jne 3rd? Thanks
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 1 hour later
Dear ...
Many thanks for your query. I have gone through your mail, the images and could understand its contents. Incisional herniae are likely to progressively increase in size. Any hernia which starts giving pain and abdominal discomfort will require immediate attention and I suggest you get your hernia looked into right away rather than wait. At times the pain in the hernia will be due to a part of intestine getting stuck in the hernia and rarely gets ischemic(loses its blood supply) needing emergency surgery.