Diagnosed with hypothyroidism, prescribed levothyroxine. Do thyroid medication cause extreme diaphoresis?

I am a 41 year old female. I was diagnosed two years ago with hypothyroidism.
I was prescribed levothyroxine 50mcg.
Have not had a thyroid level checked for a year. My question is, Do all thyroid replacement medications
cause extreme diaphoresis??? I discussed this with my physician, He did not want to try a different
medication. I am upset about this side effect. Its very embarrassing, and gross.

Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible side effect

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending a question.

Every person has a unique biology and any medication can have such a potential side effect as a diaphoresis. might not be a very common side effect but is definitely something that should be considered.

You might consider seeing a physician who could consider prescribing a different formulation of the medication. There are generic and name brand varieties of thyroid medication and since you're having this symptom it might be reasonable to try a different formulation. There are other possibilities which might be causing your symptoms. This should not be ignored. I would suggest that if you're not able to communicate with your doctor you might seek a second opinion.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga