Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Test showed low TSH level. Taking thyrox. Any suggestion?

My mother is 58. Recntly we found that she is affected by hypothyroidism. Only TSH is less but other values are normal. Her total cholestrol is 181. Anyway triglycerdies are borderline high. Chest X-ray was done and they suggested for Echo as they suspect some abnormality in heart. Echo is normal. I am afraid about her health. Her gallbladder is removed three years ago. She started having Thyrox 50 in empty stomach.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 29 minutes later

Thanks for your concern,

Your mother is recently diagnosed as Hypothyroidism, but you mentioned her TSH is less and other values are normal; values of TSH are increased in case of Hypothyroidism.
Please attach scan copy of her thyroid function so that it becomes clear as to what kind of thyroid abnormality she has.

She has been advised Thyrox 50 micro gm/day hence; I expect her TSH value to be high.

Her cholesterol 181 mg/dl is normal and triglyceride is high; she just need to take care of diet reducing fats and carbohydrates. If possible regular walking 45 min daily will help to keep her fit.

It is good that her X-ray chest and Echocardiography are normal.

Once I get reports, I can clarify better.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D     
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Test showed low TSH level. Taking thyrox. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
Thnaks Doctor. I will scan the report and contact you.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Sure. Please scan and send the reports using the site's uploader. Alternatively you can mail them to YYYY@YYYY with "Attn:Dr. A. Dubey" as the subject line.

Once I get the reports, I can answer you in detail.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Test showed low TSH level. Taking thyrox. Any suggestion? 2 days later
I have one more question. There is a statement in Echocardiogram report "trivial tricuspid mitral regurgitation". Please explain.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 3 hours later
Thanks for your input,

I have seen all your reports which you have send, she is having severe hypothyroidism as her T3 and T4 are low and TSH is high 148.63 mIU /ml (Which should be less than 5 mIU /ml).
In other reports Hemoglobin is slightly on the lower side and Triglyceride level is high that is 349 mg/dl. She can reduce fats in diet and fresh fruits and green vegetable can be included apart from any vitamins given to her.

Mild anemia and Lipid abnormalities can occur in Hypothyroidism; hence correction of hypothyroid state would improve other parameters also.

You have started 50 micro gm/day Thyrox, please continue to take regularly and follow up with your Physician, I feel dose of Thyrox can be increased depending on result of follow up TSH values.
She will improve definitely but it will take some time.

Trivial Tricuspid regurgitation this means there is very small leakage in valves as it is very small may not be of clinical importance.

Hope this information is useful to you and if you have any more doubt.
I will be available to clarify.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.