Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Psoriasis under control. Can homeopathy and yoga heal hypothyroidism?

Sep 2012

hello sir, I am 38 years old, male (Height 5.5'' and weight 81 kgs) suffering from Psorariasis from last 5 years , which is now under control due to homeopathy and ayurveda. During regular blood check up thyroid functioning test was done and the reports are as follows,
Microsomal (TPO) antibody titre : 425.70 (Normal upto 5.61)
thyroglobullin antibody (ATG) : 29.52 (Normal upto 4.11)
T3 : 136.36
T4: 4.73
TSH : 6.26
Can homeopathy and Yoga solve my problem of hypothyroidism or I will have to depend on external thyroxine for rest of my life. please reply
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your blood report indicates presence of microsomal TPO antibody. TPO means thyroid peroxidase. It is an enzyme which is necessary for production of thyroid hormone. Presence of anti TPO antibody indicates destruction of this enzyme due to the autoimmune mechanism. Here, body detects its own antigens as foreign and produces antibodies against these. Same thing can be told regarding thyroglobulin antibody.

Your thyroid hormones are near normal with mild increase in TSH level. It indicates that body is trying to compensate the lower level of T3 and T4 by secreting TSH in higher amount. Increased amount of TSH in turn increases secretion of T3 and T4.

In this condition, think from a neutral point of view, can homeopathy treat this condition?

The real answer is no, homeopathy cannot treat the situation. Because the treatment is only one. External thyroxine supplements. It should be taken for rest of your life.

But, some basic points should be kept in mind before starting the treatment, those are –

1. You have to do an ultrasound scan of the thyroid region. Because, in this condition, presence of some small nodules are quite common.
2. If any nodule is found, you have to do a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) from that. It would be better to go for US guided FNAC. You should consult with your treating doctor about this.
3. You have to do a thyroid profile test every 3 months for the first year. After one year, you have to do it every 6 months.

Lastly, it would be better to consult with an endocrinologist in person, for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.