Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Having hair fall. Can Xtraglo lead to weight gain?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, can the medicine 'Xtraglo' lead to weight gain? I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and was losing hair so was prescribed with this tablet (which is a Biotin cum L-Methionine cum L-Cysteine tablet) along with Thyronorm 75mcg. Also, have been prescribed a Vitamin D3 medicine 0000UI once a week for 8 weeks in order to prevent cramps if any, caused due to Thyronorm.
The prescribed dosage for Xtraglo is 1 tablet per night for 2 months.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Having hair fall. Can Xtraglo lead to weight gain? 10 minutes later
Any Alternate Medicine Suggested for hair loss due to Hypothyroidism?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Dear Patient,
Hairloss is common in hypothyroidism and usually is reversible .
Once the thyroid fuction comes to baseline, the hair starts to grow again.
Biotin and other supplements only help the growing hair and do not have any effect on new hair.
Once the thyroid function is normal hair growth also becomes normal.
Biotin is a water soluble vitamin and any excess is excreated in urine.
Also vitamins do not add to weight.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Having hair fall. Can Xtraglo lead to weight gain? 2 days later
Thanks for the reply doctor. Is it possible that the hair fall might initially increase at the start of the medicines and then slowly reduce? I started my medicines a week ago and have observed an increase in my hair fall since. Also usually how long does it take for the medicines to start working?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 6 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up.
It si spossible that you might experience more hairfall after the start of the treatment.
Medications start to show result after 3-4 week and visible difference is only seen after 3 months.

Dr.Rohit Batra